Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Vultures

So... Our barn came with a family of vultures. At first we thought there were two. So, I talked to a Senior Farmer at work, and he asked if I had a shot gun (it turns out that this is a very illegal and expensive solution -so don't do it!)... I said no, but I did have a staple gun. After a bit of talking to the Senior Farmer, it emerged that it was important to make sure that there were no chicks before using the staple gun and chicken wire to carry out "The Eviction".

So, next day, I looked in only to find -two white, fluffy, and very very stinky vulture chicks! We therefore decided to wait... One day, I noticed four vultures flying about the barn yard. Upon checking the roost, I found indeed that our cute little chicks had literally "flown the coop." So... staple gun in hand, I rapidly sealed all the holes.

For a few days, we had four very sad looking vultures hanging about the barn yard, but not in the barn. One might ask how I know that they were sad? Well, they looked pretty sad. After a while, though, they left. Every now and then we see them flying high, but they are no longer in our barn!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Bernie and Francesca (and Nicoletta),

    Hope those chicks don't resort to a life of crime, but I wouldn't be surprised. Bet they're not as adorable now as they used to be. Creepy might be a good word to describe them.

    Looks like you guys have really settled in.

    The house is beautiful.

    Best of luck and try not to contract some sort of aviary flu or bat disorder ("Because most bats will try to bite when handled, they should be picked up with tongs or a shovel.") If using crab tongs, remember to wash the tongs after bat removal and before ingesting crabs. Oh. . . never mind--I see you've got your protective bio-suits. And you probably have dedicated bat removal tongs--I should have guessed.

    If your mother is still there, Francesca, please say hi to her for me.

    Love,
    Auntie Jackie

    ReplyDelete